Monday, March 7, 2011

My Monday Soup

I'm not sick like Grace, but I am craving soup. Specifically, soups with legumes and greens and spice. I found one today to make for lunch and I really hope no one else likes it because I want to keep it all for myself.

Red Lentil Soup with Greens
from Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers

1 1/4 cups red lentils
1 t. salt
2 T olive oil
1 1/2 t. black mustard seeds
1 1/2 t. anise or fennel seeds
1/4 to 1/2 t. red pepper flakes
2 T minced fresh ginger (or 1 t. ground ginger)
1 garlic clove, minced
4 cups rinsed, drained, and chopped fresh greens
(I used kale, but mustard greens, chard, or spinach would also be good.)
1/2 t. salt
3/4 cup coconut milk

--Rinse lentils and drain. In a soup pot, bring 5 cups of water, the lentils, and salt to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until tender, about 30 minutes.

--While the lentils cook, warm the oil in a saucepan on medium heat, add the black mustard seeds, and cover until they pop. Stir in the anise/fennel, red pepper flakes, ginger, and garlic and cook for a minute, stirring constantly. Add the greens and the salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the greens are just wilted. Stir in the coconut milk and simmer for a minute. Remove from heat.

--When the lentils are soft, stir in the greens and coconut milk mixture and add salt to taste.

This made a nice amount, probably good for 3 or 4 lunches. I also had beet salad with it, from the same cookbook.

No comments: